Developing Country Fund
DCF Travel Grants 2013
To promote active attendance at the TIAFT annual scientific meeting by providing financial assistance to a DCF member.
- DETAILS OF TRAVEL GRANT
- The financial assistance is to the maximum value of USD 2,000 in addition to the registration fee. This can be used to cover the cost of direct travel to and from the meeting (e.g. airfare and/or train) and cost of accommodation.
- The grant cannot be used to assist in living expenses, i.e. meals and miscellaneous personal expenses.
- The funds will only be made available after the person attends the meeting. The treasurer can provide a cheque at the meeting providing appropriate details are worked out with the treasurer beforehand.
- WHO IS ELIGIBLE
A DCF member or member from a developing country who is eligible for DCF membership and who will join as DCF member before attending the meeting.
- APPLICATION CRITERIA
- Applicants must demonstrate that they are a DCF member or are eligible to become a member and will join the association before the meeting date (DCF members are only made to toxicologists who are living, studying or working in countries whose gross domestic product per citizen is under USD 20,000).
- Applicants need to demonstrate in writing that participation will have a positive effect on their future career in forensic toxicology.
- Preference will be given to an applicant who has an abstract that has been accepted for presentation at the upcoming annual meeting, or can be submitted for poster presentation (if application occurs after abstract close date).
- Awards will be preferentially given to persons who have not received a DCF travel grant before.
- Applicants are not eligible if they have received this award the previous year.
- TIAFT will give preference to awarding grants to people from different parts of the developing world rather than just one region or country, providing they meet the criteria.
- Only those applicants who have fully completed the application will be considered. Applications must include their name, work or study address, qualifications, experience in the field of forensic toxicology, information of past applications for DCF travel grant and of successful and importantly what they will learn by attending the annual meeting and how this would be applied to their future careers.
- Within three months after the meeting, the applicant will be required to write a report on what they have learnt from attending the meeting for publication in the TIAFT bulletin.
- HOW MANY AWARDS WILL BE GIVEN
Up to six awards will be given in 2013.
For the meeting in Madeira in September 2013.
- RESTRICTIONS AND LIMITATIONS
- Only complete applications will be considered.
- Air Travel is by coach-travel (economy) only.
- If awarded a Grant and unable, for any reason, to attend the meeting, any funds received are to be returned to TIAFT within one month of the end of the Annual meeting.
- Original receipts for covered items are to be received by the TIAFT Treasurer within one month of the end of the Annual Meeting.
Write a letter of application to the TIAFT President, preferably by e-mail. The letter must include the following:
- Length of time applicant has been a member of TIAFT or eligibility to join with application form attached;
- Statement that applicant is not able to meet all the costs associated with attending the annual meeting of TIAFT, nor has financial support from the organization that employs the applicant.
- Statement of why applicant wants to attend the TIAFT Annual Meeting and how attending the meeting will benefit the applicant in his/her career;
- Statement as to whether the applicant has submitted an abstract for presentation at the upcoming meeting, or wishes to in which case applicant needs to submit copy of abstract with letter of application;
- Information about whether applicant has presented at past TIAFT meetings;
- Information about whether applicant's attendance at a previous meeting was funded through TIAFT;
- Detailed information about costs for Registration, Transportation and Lodging (estimate only);
- Information on the best way to contact the applicant, such as postal address, e-mail address, or fax number; and
- Applicant's Resume with e-photo.
If you are not TIAFT member, please download the application form (.pdf)
by clicking on the link below.
Applications must be received by April 30, 2013. Applications received after that date will not be processed.
TIAFT will ordinarily determine Grant recipients by May 20, 2013.
Receipts have to be given to the Treasurer before payment is activated. Preferably before the meeting an indication of the actual airfare and accommodation costs from the hotel must be sent to the treasurer. The treasurer can then prepare a cheque before the meeting and give the cheque when the awardee gives the receipts at the meeting, or by mail. Reimbursements do not include taxes or insurance.
Professor Dr. Alain Verstraete